[gdal-dev] PGCLIENTENCODING in ogr2ogr (and QGIS)

Rahkonen Jukka (MML) jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Mon Nov 29 12:02:02 PST 2021

Hi,

There is some text about client encoding in https://gdal.org/drivers/vector/pg.html

" By default it is assumed that text being sent to Postgres is in the UTF-8 encoding. This is fine for plain ASCII, but can result in errors for extended characters (ASCII 155+, LATIN1, etc). While OGR provides no direct control over this, you can set the PGCLIENTENCODING environment variable to indicate the format being provided. For instance, if your text is LATIN1 you could set the environment variable to LATIN1 before using OGR and input would be assumed to be LATIN1 instead of UTF-8. An alternate way of setting the client encoding is to issue the following SQL command with ExecuteSQL() : "SET client_encoding TO encoding_name" where encoding_name is LATIN1, etc. Errors can be caught by enclosing this command with a CPLPushErrorHandler()/CPLPopErrorHandler() pair."

I would try with that environmental variable first.

-Jukka Rahkonen-