[gdal-dev] HTTP range request retrying?

Sean Gillies sean at mapbox.com
Wed Oct 6 17:12:51 PDT 2021

Hi Even,

Yes, that's a good point. What I've done at
https://github.com/mapbox/rasterio/blob/maint-1.2/tests/test_warp.py#L2022
makes the tests sensitive to the text of CPLError messages, which could
change. It's not ideal. On the other hand, I do have confirmation that
range requests can be retried. It can be a hard thing to demonstrate
reliably with production servers, which might return a 503 only one time in
a million.

On Tue, Oct 5, 2021 at 10:09 AM Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com>
wrote:

> Hi Sean,
>
> The code for retry of range requests of regions of data is at
> https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/master/gdal/port/cpl_vsil_curl.cpp#L1602
> . It indeed looks like there's no test for that. You might file an issue
> about adding one.
>
> Side node: it might become a maintenance burden on rasterio if you test
> such low level implementation detail of GDAL, especially if you test like
> we do which exact requests are done and in which order, if we change at
> some later point how requests are done
>
> Even
> Le 05/10/2021 à 17:44, Sean Gillies via gdal-dev a écrit :
>
> Hi all,
>
> In writing some rasterio tests I am able to get GDAL to retry head
> requests for a vsicurl dataset, but am unable to trigger retries for range
> requests to regions of the data. I don't recognize any tests for range
> request retrying in or near
> https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/master/autotest/gcore/vsicurl.py#L473.
> Do we intend to support this or is it a missing feature?
>
> --
> Sean Gillies

Sean Gillies