[gdal-dev] test failures on pkgsrc build of 3.3.2rc3

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Sep 1 12:50:24 PDT 2021

Le 01/09/2021 à 21:22, Greg Troxel a écrit :
>>> Looking into the avc failure, I find
>>>
>>> $ ogrinfo ogr/data/avc/testavc/testavc/
>>> INFO: Open of `ogr/data/avc/testavc/testavc/'
>>>         using driver `AVCBin' successful.
>>> 1: ARC (Line String)
>>> 2: LAB (Point)
>>>
>>> But if I leave off the trailing / I get a failure to find a driver.  A
>>> trailing slash on a directrory name seems odd to me, and usually the
>>> result of completion.
>> Hum, I suspect you might hit a similar issue as the one for FreeBSD in
>> https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/a95e796f65b26379b0e5c699bacef29f7684f79f/gdal/gcore/gdalopeninfo.cpp#L216
>> where fopen("/some/dir", "rb") succeeds.
>>
>> Can you test changing that with whatever define is appropriate to test
>> for your OS and submit the resulting patch ?
> The comment about FreeBSD being odd seems strange to me, as POSIX has no
> notion that fopen must fail when opening a directory for reading.
>
>    https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/fopen.html
>    https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/open.html
>
> As I read the spec, it is a violation to return NULL when the first
> argument is a directory and the second is r or rb.  A test program
> succeeds in calling fopen on . with rb, on both NetBSD and macOS 10.13.
>
> Perhaps I am misreading the POSIX spec.

It is not clear for me. There's a mention that opening a directory in
update mode should fail. But I can't see the point of succeeding in
read-only mode. You can't read anything.

But actually I do see that on my current Linux system too fopen(somedir,
"rb") works, but later in that function, we try to read some bytes from
it. If we don't manage to read a single byte, then we fallback

to a stat() to check the nature of the file. So I suspect that on your
OS and FreeBSD, the fread() does return some bytes, whereas the other OS
on which we regularly test, return 0.

I guess we might want to change the current test as #if
!(defined(_WIN32) || defined(__linux__) || defined(__ANDROID__)) so as
to match all the BSDs, and do the stat() before trying to fopen() the file.

Trying that in https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/4411

This will be post 3.3.2 material as it is not a new issue.