[gdal-dev] HTJ2K decoding available in openjpeg master

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Sat Sep 25 04:52:41 PDT 2021

Hi,

below is of potential interest for GDAL. We had related discussions when
a Grok GDAL driver was proposed. HTJ2K (ITU-T.814
https://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-T.814-201906-I/en or JPEG2000 Part 15) is
an extension of regular JPEG2000 were the code block encoding, which is
the slowest part of JPEG2000, has been replaced by an alternative that
has the potential for being 10 times or more faster (could apparently be
30 times faster for lossless), with an increased file size of ~ 7%.
Current implementation in OpenJPEG is "only" twice faster.

I've verified that the current JP2OpenJPEG driver, when linked to
openjpeg master 2.5.0dev, can decode HTJ2K codestreams. This also works
when they are embedded in JP2 boxes (files with .jph extensions that are
similar to .jp2), which is in particular where georeferencing is encoded
(GMLJP2 boxes or GeoJP2 boxes), so theoretically we should be ready for
geospatial imagery using HTJ2K coding, if such a beast ever emerges...

This is a decode-only implementation. To play with the encoding side,
you'll have to use https://github.com/aous72/OpenJPH,
https://github.com/osamu620/OpenHTJ2K,
https://github.com/GrokImageCompression/grok or Kakadu

Even