[gdal-dev] Memory allocation issues on Android 11+ and scudo

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Sat Apr 2 09:27:52 PDT 2022

Philippe Lelong <lelong.ph at meltemus.com> writes:

> My typical test is using Netherlands S57 charts
> (https://vaarweginformatie.nl/frp/main/#/page/infra_enc, take zeeland
> and nederland at the end of the page), and open/close them one by one
> in a loop.
>

> I have not tried "release_to_os_interval_ms", I will.

Even if you are not trying to do logging/replay you really should
instrument the allocator to log each allocation/free to a file and use a
program, even if you have to write it, to keep track of the allocated
but not freed allocations.   gdal should produce a similar pattern with
various allocators, and if it doesn't that's interesting.  It is also
key to know what the total outsanding allocations are when the crash
happens.

The scudo allocator might also have logs for obtaining memory and
releasing it, and if so you should turn those on too.