[gdal-dev] Add coded field domains to file geodatabase

adamgutonski adamgutonski at protonmail.com
Mon Apr 11 10:13:16 PDT 2022

I am wondering how can one add a coded field domain to a file geodatabase using the FileGDB driver and File GDB API? Anytime I call AddFieldDomain it returns false:

>>> coded_domain = ogr.CreateCodedFieldDomain("name", "desc", ogr.OFTString, ogr.OFSTNone, {1:'LOW'})
>>> driver = gdal.GetDriverByName("FileGDB")
>>> datasource = driver.Create(r'C:\output\test_domains.gdb', 0, 0, 0)
>>> datasource.AddFieldDomain(coded_domain)
False
>>> datasource.TestCapability(ogr.ODsCAddFieldDomain)
False

The documentation suggests that the FileGDB driver is capable of supporting domains as of 3.3: https://gdal.org/drivers/vector/filegdb.html?highlight=domains#field-domains

I am using gdal version 3.4.2.

Am I adding the domain incorrectly, or does this mean that domains are not supported with the FileGDB driver?

Thank you,
Adam Gutonski