[gdal-dev] BAG CRS

Vautour, André (INT) Andre.Vautour at Teledyne.com
Fri Apr 22 09:01:00 PDT 2022

Hi all,

It has just come to my attention that the BAG driver in GDAL is writing the CRS with a WKT codeSpace and a WKT 2.0 string as the code. While I am fairly sure we started that incorrect practice here at CARIS with a WKT 1.0 string, this is the first time I've seen a WKT 2.0 string written in there, and I am therefore concerned about interoperability.

I think we can all agree that what makes the most sense is to write an EPSG codebase with the EPSG code if we have it, and I think falling back to a WKT 1.0 string if it is not EPSG is a reasonable fallback if it is not EPSG, given how it has been used in the past, but I am worried that older software won't recognize the WKT 2.0 string.

Would you be willing to take a pull request that does that? Worst-case, would you be fine with changing that WKT 2.0 string to a WKT 1.0 string?

Regards,
André