[gdal-dev] Advanced 3.6.1 release and retraction of 3.6.0 ?

Daniel Evans daniel.fred.evans at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 12:48:21 PST 2022

Similar thoughts here, too. Thinking particularly of the Docker image, the
main use case for them is ensuring a reproducible build on the user's side.
Those using the `latest` tag (indicating they're not so bothered about
versions) will start building with 3.6.1 automatically anyway. Those who
have pinned builds to 3.6.0 presumably want to avoid unexpected changes -
and given it's short life, I expect those are users who follow GDAL quite
closely.

I also don't get the impression this is *significantly* worse than the
normal bugfixes we see with any release - minor bugs like coordinate
rounding and interpolation issues have affected plenty of raster datasets
in the past, but we wouldn't consider a retraction of all GDAL versions up
to that point.

Regards,
Daniel