[gdal-dev] cmake status update - 99% good news!

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Jan 25 02:41:45 PST 2022

Hi Kai,

Le 25/01/2022 à 08:23, Kai Pastor, DG0YT a écrit :
> I made an initial attempt on gdal with cmake for vcpkg:
> https://github.com/microsoft/vcpkg/pull/22392
>
> Now vcpkg's default is static linkage on Linux and macOS. AFAICT
> static linkage is not covered very well.

Trying to understand the issue: so the problems you face is when GDAL's
dependencies are static libs, and you want gdal.pc, gdal-config or the
CMake exported config to keep track all direct and indirect
dependencies, right ?

Otherwise, I can do a BUILD_SHARED_LIBS=OFF build currently against
dynamic dependencies.

Is it better covered on the autoconf side ? I've some doubts, as this
isn't tested by CI. Not saying we can't improve this, but we'll need
help from knowledgeable people. (can't you fallback on dynamic linkage
for vcpkg?)

> Fixing this needs a lot of work either on the find modules, or on
> getting dependencies to provide exported config. In some cases (e.g.
> GEOS), config files already exist, but they are neither used

> nor a drop-in replacement (target names differ).

Not sure what you mean. Example ?

| including user-facing changes.

Example ?

Even