[gdal-dev] gdal2tiles vs COG

Javier Jimenez Shaw j1 at jimenezshaw.com
Tue Jul 5 00:20:59 PDT 2022

Hi

Do you know if there is any performance comparison between gdal2tiles and
COG?

To display our geotiffs we are currently running gdal2tiles and storing the
(gazillion) tiles in Amazon S3. Then a webpage with openlayers is showing
them in WebMercator.
We are considering moving to make a COG file with the option
TILING_SCHEME=GoogleMapsCompatible and use also openlayers to read it (from
the same S3 server). However, our first tests are not running very fast
displaying the map in the browser.

I do not know if anybody else had studied it, and if there is any trick to
make it faster.

PS. I cannot use JPEG compression (with alpha) with openlayers, but that is
another problem... or maybe not.

Thanks,
Javier.
Entre dos pensamientos racionales
hay infinitos pensamientos irracionales.