[gdal-dev] autoconf and nmake build systems ready to be removed

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Thu Jul 21 16:37:46 PDT 2022

Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com> writes:

>> I use cmake on master, but have not converted the package yet.
> You've still time as this will reach a release for 3.6.0 in
> November. This email is mostly for people having CI or other similar
> nightly build processes that track GDAL master.

What I do, usually only when there is a call for testing, is to build on
master including creating a distfile, and then to build that distfile as
if it were a release in pkgsrc.  But duly noted that I need to get
around to converting the package.  That should not be hard; the
non-pkgsrc cmake build works.

>> I guess you are implying that we are at the point where everything that
>> worked with autoconf is doable with cmake, including whatever cross
>> builds worked?
> I'm not aware of platforms where GDAL used to build that can't build
> with CMake. Everything in our infrastructure that depended on autoconf
> & nmake has now been switched to cmake (that includes Android cross
> builds for example). So things are ready from my point of view.

Great, glad to hear it.