[gdal-dev] regular grid longlat netcdf without crs meta

Michael Sumner mdsumner at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 22:31:50 PDT 2022

gosh, very sorry I messed up the SDS string - I've posted as a gist here
with the gdalinfo output:

https://gist.github.com/mdsumner/615441365e3a0691c457493fe62b78bf

Best, Mike

On Tue, Mar 15, 2022 at 4:06 PM Michael Sumner <mdsumner at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> these files don't present to GDAL with a CRS, but it seems not out of
place to assume that they can use 'oSRS.SetWellKnownGeogCS("WGS84")', when
no other indication is found and there are dimensions 'lon,lat' or
'longitude,latitude'

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/data/sea-surface-temperature-optimum-interpolation/v2.1/access/avhrr/

> An example sds specifically:
>
> /vsicurl/NETCDF:"/vsicurl/
https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/data/sea-surface-temperature-optimum-interpolation/v2.1/access/avhrr/202202/oisst-avhrr-v02r01.20220201.nc
":sst

> Would that be reasonable? Perhaps controlled by an env var? Is there an
established control for this I'm missing? (I'm not looking for '-a_srs' or
VRT, I want the auto-detection to work for these and many other similar
file sources without augmentation).

> (It's not out of the question that I could submit a PR for this, just
flagging discussion in case I'm missing something.)

e-mail: mdsumner at gmail.com