[gdal-dev] GDAL 3.5.0alpha1 available

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Mar 24 04:23:02 PDT 2022

Hi Sandro,

I gave it a spin for Fedora:

> - Does not build against JasPer-3.0.2: there are two signature
> mismatches:

Jasper support will be dropped soon (see
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/5269). You should rather use the
JP2OpenJPEG driver using libopenjp2 from
https://github.com/uclouvain/openjpeg/. You can for now disable Jasper
detection  with -DGDAL_USE_JASPER=OFF

queued in https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/5501

> - I wasn't able to figure out how to build the docs? cmake
> -DBUILD_DOCS=On works so far as cmake configuration succeeds. Then
> make documentation fails with missing br/ru localized files, and
> commenting those targets out there seems to be a mismatch between the
> footer name (gdal_footer.html vs footer.html?)

Yes I noticed that too a few days ago :
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/issues/5484 .  The doc for now is to be
built manually with "make html" / "make man" from the doc subdirectory.
But since the switch of the doc from static HTML pages (I suspect the
doc/CMakeLists.txt originally dates back to that era) to Sphinx a few
years ago, we no longer delivered the doc/ in tarballs (only the
generated man pages were). They got re-included in alpha1 a bit by
accident (since the move of the content of the gdal/ directory to the
top level directory, and the mkgdaldist.sh script not taking that yet
fully into account).

I'm not sure what to do with docs:

- do like we did in recent versions, ie have no doc/ directory in the
tarball, and just generated man pages (will need
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/issues/5491 to be implemented to
automatically have CMake to install the generated man pages)

- or ship doc/ in tarballs, and thus make sphinx-build and other related
Python packages
(https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/master/doc/requirements.txt) a
requirement to build the HTML, PDF and man pages (I know this isn't
popular for some packagers).

- variant of the above: ship doc/ in tarballs, with the addition of
pre-generated man pages. That way, only people that want the HTML & PDF
doc really need to go through sphinx-build.

Even