[gdal-dev] Motion: adopt RFC 87: Signed int8 data type for raster

Jon Morris Jon.Morris at jbarisk.com
Thu Nov 17 03:59:42 PST 2022

I concur that signed byte data is fairly common and we have to handle it in our Python application. The recent addition of Int64 types actually broke the dictionary-based way we were converting between numpy and GDAL datatypes and we had to implement a more robust solution.

Is it the case that gdal.GetDataTypeName and gdal.GetDataTypeByName currently return the wrong values – they suggest np.int8 is equivalent to gdal.GDT_Byte when it should be np.uint8. Hopefully adding a signed 8bit type should clear this up. Having to also check the PIXELTYPE metadata isn’t always convenient so it will be better to have a more consistent conversion.

Jon

e: Jon.Morris at jbarisk.com
d:+44 (0)1756 587229
t: +44 (0)1756 799919
www.jbarisk.com
All JBA Risk Management's email messages contain confidential information and are intended only for the individual(s) named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.
Please notify the sender immediately by email if you have received this email by mistake and delete this email from your system.
JBA Risk Management Limited is registered in England, company number 07732946, 1 Broughton Park, Old Lane North, Broughton, Skipton, North Yorkshire, BD23 3FD, England.