[gdal-dev] Discussion of Xerces-C++ project health and possibility of retirement

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Oct 11 05:32:03 PDT 2022

Hi,

FYI see threads "Discussion of Xerces-C++ project health and possibility
of retirement" and "Prepping a 3.2.4 release" at
https://lists.apache.org/list.html?c-dev@xerces.apache.org

In short, the Xerces-C++ project GDAL depends for a few drivers is
considered to be moved into https://attic.apache.org/ , which is for
end-of-life projects, due to lack of maintainers.

Current GDAL use of Xerces-C++:

- in GML driver. but the Expat XML parser is also already implemented
with similar capabilities, so no issue here

- in NAS driver. requirement for NAS driver. That said, I presume Expat
could be used, as only XML parser capabilities are used AFAIK, pending
some work of course.

- in ILI driver. Same as NAS

- in GMLAS driver. Xerces-C++ dependency is critical here. Not only its
XML parsing capabilities are used, as well as its XML Schema validation
ones, but the driver strongly depends on using XML Schema grammar
analysis classes of Xerces-C++ to fully understand the XML schema
constructs. As far as I know, no other C/C++ XML open source libraries
have such capabilities.

While a no-longer-maintained-at-all Xerces-C++ is likely not an
immediate risk for GDAL, it could cause troubles in the medium/long
term: no functional or security fixes, issues with compilation with
newer compilers, etc.

Even