[gdal-dev] Transformations with same horizontal datum but different geoid outputs the same Z value

Paul Harwood runette at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 05:42:56 PDT 2022

I had to respond just because ...

GPS did not overthrow the Airy ellipsoid! It is alive and well in BNG where
it should be.

There are also organizations (like, I believe, MOLA) that prefer to use
LatLng with the Airy ellipsoid. I have a problem with that since it is
confusing (there is no *simple* notation in LatLng coords to tell you which
reference is used) and if you get it wrong the error in position is about
100m! Too big to be ignored but often too small to be obvious!

The response you received was because you mixed up ellipsoids and geoids.
4326 does not reference any geoid - it is a 2D reference system. You
probably meant the equivalent 3D CRS 4979 but that refers to ellipsoidal
height (above, as you say, the wgs84 ellipsoid ensemble). You talked about
the geoid, which is a different reference.

The Airy ellipsoid is not a Geoid. The OS Geoid is, I believe, OSGM15.

As far as converting from ellipsoidal height to orthometric height (i.e.
referenced to the Geoid) - I am not sure that it matters that GPS is using
WGS84 references. You still have to do a similar transformation and I would
expect that the final accuracy would be about the same.