[gdal-dev] Documentation of .gfs file format

Johannes Echterhoff echterhoff at interactive-instruments.de
Tue Oct 25 06:16:33 PDT 2022

Hello,

The documentation of the GML driver on https://gdal.org/drivers/vector/gml.html has two sections that describe the .gfs file format to some extent (section "Syntax of .gfs file by example" and section "Advanced .gfs syntax"). When looking for more information about the .gfs format, I came across https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/issues/1138, where <precision> was mentioned as an additional element that can be used in .gfs files.

Is the .gfs. file format documented somewhere in full detail? I would like to write .gfs template files, and in order to do so, knowing all available elements, options, as well as syntax requirements would be great to know. So far, I only came across a number of examples - which certainly help - but I would like to consult an authoritative source, if there is one.

Best regards,
Johannes