[gdal-dev] ogr2ogr error: ERROR 1: Maximum number of characters allowed reached.

Moises Calzado mcalzado at carto.com
Tue Sep 20 09:06:43 PDT 2022

Hello everyone,

We're facing some issues working with ogr2ogr in the 3.5.1 version, as
we've found a dataset that provokes the following error during the
execution of the following command:

ogr2ogr -f CSV -skipfailures -makevalid /vsistdout/
> CSV:munic_s_anonymized.csv -simplify 0.00001 -dim XY -t_srs EPSG:4326 -lco
> GEOMETRY=AS_WKT -lco GEOMETRY_NAME=geom -lco CREATE_CSVT=YES > test.csv

The error that is thrown by ogr2ogr is the following one:

ERROR 1: Maximum number of characters allowed reached.

And when it appears, the process stops processing data. We've been able to
launch the process without any issue on GDAL 3.2.2, so we don't know if
something has changes or if it's an unexpected behaviour. Have you seen a
similar error in the latest versions of GDAL?

If you want to reproduce it there is a link to the file
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nG1kHqG6bLXBV_aOaPreDW4674ufdNjy/view?usp=sharing>
that provoked this error.

Thanks so much in advance,
Kind regards.