[gdal-dev] using vsicurl to read metadata of a resource over https with credentials

Andrew C Aitchison andrew at aitchison.me.uk
Thu Jan 5 15:51:56 PST 2023

lOn Thu, 5 Jan 2023, Paolo Corti wrote:

> I am trying to read metadata from a file over https on a public web
> site which requires authentication using gdalinfo and vsicurl - I
> don't want to download the file as it is really large.
> Without authentication gdalinfo works correctly. However I need to use
> authentication, but so far I didn't manage to do that.

> However gdalinfo is still not working and I am wondering If I am doing
> something wrong or if there is any other option to include in the
> command.
>
> The error I am getting is:
>
> gdalinfo /vsicurl/https://[a-public-site-requiring-credentials]/[my-file-h5]
>
> ERROR 1: Range downloading not supported by this server!
> gdalinfo failed - unable to open '/vsicurl/https://l....h5'

Hmm. Can you use gdalinfo /vsicurl *on this site* without autjentication ?

"Range downloading not supported" suggests that the server can only
give you the whole file, not just the bits with the metadata.
I don't think this is about authentication at all.

--
Andrew C. Aitchison                      Kendal, UK
                    andrew at aitchison.me.uk