[gdal-dev] Call for discussion on RFC 92 text: WKB Only geometries

Seth G sethg at geographika.co.uk
Tue Jan 31 05:20:03 PST 2023

Hi Even,

Is it correct to say the workflow for OGR layer in MapServer is similar to that of QGIS?
OGR features / geometries are loaded, and then converted into MapServer shapes using the OGRGeometry function [1]. Would using WKB here be any more performant?
The PostGIS driver already has code to convert from WKB to shape [2] which could be repurposed.

Seth

[1] https://github.com/MapServer/MapServer/blob/f3f05d4cf30af615d5f443a1c47c20b6117e52cb/mapogr.cpp#L250
[2] https://github.com/MapServer/MapServer/blob/f3f05d4cf30af615d5f443a1c47c20b6117e52cb/mappostgis.cpp#L663

--