[gdal-dev] Call for discussion on RFC 92 text: WKB Only geometries

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Jan 31 08:08:18 PST 2023

Hi Seth,

Le 31/01/2023 à 14:20, Seth G a écrit :
> Hi Even,
>
> Is it correct to say the workflow for OGR layer in MapServer is similar to that of QGIS?
Not quite, because currently MapServer as you point out use
"materialized geometries" to get the points, the number of rings in a
polygons, etc.
> Would using WKB here be any more performant?
In the general case where the geometries in the datasource aren't
encoding using WKB, probably not because you would have to pay for the
WKB serialization & deserialization. It could, perhaps, help, a bit, for
GeoPackage. To get the best performance, you'd need to have 2 code
paths: one for OGR materialized geometry (the current one), and another
one for OGR WKBOnly geometries.
> The PostGIS driver already has code to convert from WKB to shape [2] which could be repurposed.

Yes, if that was done, reusing the WKB -> msShapeObj converter from the
PostGIS connector would be the way to go

Even