[gdal-dev] gdalinfo on large vrt takes a long time

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Jun 8 16:18:15 PDT 2023

William,

it might be perhaps related to the GetMinimum() call done by gdalinfo.
Cf https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/5444

But normally it should only try to open the first source, and not all of
them. At least that's what I could confirm on a quick testing. But I do
see that the CanUseSourcesMinMaxImplementations() method will stat()
sources whose filename looks like a local file (obviously if that's a
mounted file system / vpn thing, it will not realize it is remote).

Try setting the VRT_MIN_MAX_FROM_SOURCES=NO environment variable /
configuration option to see if that makes a difference. If it does, the
CanUseSourcesMinMaxImplementations() logic should be modified to avoid
doing those stat's().

If that's confirmed to be linked to GetMinmum(), you may also workaround
the issue by doing a "gdalinfo -stats the.vrt" (from the server) to have
statistics incorporated in the VRT, then GetMinimum() should be instant

Even