[gdal-dev] Compatibility of GDAL binaries and GDAL jar files

Dirk Stenger stenger at lat-lon.de
Tue Jun 13 13:27:31 PDT 2023

All,

I am using GDAL with an Java application and have a couple of questions
regarding the compatibility of releases of the GDAL binaries and the
GDAL jar files provided via Maven Central Repository [1].

The GDAL jar files provided via Maven Central Repository never contain a
bug fix version (e.g. 3.5.0, 3.6.0, 3.7.0). The GDAL binaries, however,
use bug fix versions (e.g. 3.6.4).
How do I match the versions? Should I, for example, use GDAL jar 3.6.0
with GDAL binary 3.6.4? What is the release policy of the versions in
Maven Central Repository, is there always a new jar release whenever
there is a GDAL release of a minor version?

Is there any compatibility scheme/matrix for using the GDAL jar file
with GDAL binaries?
For example, can minor versions be combined (e.g. using GDAL jar 3.0.0
with GDAL binary 3.6.4) or should there always be exact version matching?
If different versions can be combined, is there any documentation about
the logic of matching?

Kind regards,
Dirk

[1] https://central.sonatype.com/artifact/org.gdal/gdal/3.7.0