[gdal-dev] OSX 13.4 (M1 Pro) troubles using GDAL

Meyer, Jesse R. (GSFC-618.0)[SCIENCE SYSTEMS AND APPLICATIONS INC] jesse.r.meyer at nasa.gov
Tue Jun 20 13:43:44 PDT 2023

Hi,

My GDAL installation procedure looks like:

Install python 3.11.4 from the official site
brew install gdal (this grabbed numpy v1.25, and a number of other pre-reqs, and installs 3.6.4)
python -m venv test_env
// activate test_env //
pip install numpy (installs v1.25)
pip install gdal==3.6.4 (brew does not yet house 3.7)

This appears to work fine at first.  I can manipulate gdal datasets up until I use band.ReadAsArray().  Python throws an exception `cannot import name '_gdal_array' from 'osgeo`.

Should this have worked?  Stack Overflow has a few instances of this problem and they all point to incorrect install orders, or various software environments interacting poorly.  But I don’t think I’m making those mistakes.

What causes my head to spin is that, I installed rasterio, and the ‘read’ function works!  It must be via a different mechanism, but I wasn’t able to follow the code architecture in Github to see how they pull it off.

Any advice?  Thanks --
Jesse