[gdal-dev] Can we do Delaunay with 3D points?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Sun Jun 25 11:05:27 PDT 2023

Joaquim,

> Looked at the GDAL tests and there it also uses only 2D (a 3D test is
> commented).

I assume you're speaking about the PolyhedralSurface / TIN tests in
ogr_geom.py.  The reason is that the code (and in particularly GEOS) is
not ready for those geometry types.

> I am doing something wrong or delaunay in GDAL is only possible with
> with 2D points?

Quick testing shows that it works with a multipoint z with a recent GEOS
master version  (but might work with older ones perhaps)

 >>> g = ogr.CreateGeometryFromWkt("MULTIPOINT Z (0 0 10,0 1 10,1 1 12,1
0 10)")

 >>> triangulation = g.DelaunayTriangulation()

 >>> triangulation.ExportToWkt()

'GEOMETRYCOLLECTION (POLYGON ((0 1 10,0 0 10,1 0 10,0 1 10)),POLYGON ((0
1 10,1 0 10,1 1 12,0 1 10)))'

Even