[gdal-dev] Codepage or UTF-8 in a metadata file Filename.aux in the Erdas Imagine format, describing a Filename.tif

Mikael Rittri Mikael.Rittri at carmenta.com
Mon Jun 26 06:25:23 PDT 2023

Thank you, Even and Jukka.

Jukka: If the .rrd and .rde files just contain overviews, then they are irrelevant for my purpose. The .tif file itself doesn’t give me problems, but I want to extract its Raster Attribute Table, and it seems that I can read it from the .aux file via GDAL whether or not the .rrd and .rde files are present. That’s good to know. (I mean, it’s good for me to know which sidecar files I can ignore since there are a lot of them: some Erdas ones and some Esri ones and some that I don’t recognize at all.)

Even: Thanks for the link to the format description. Since I, too, fail to find anything about character encoding there, I suppose the format is neutral about that, and then GDAL just retrieves the byte sequences as they are. So I ought to make my software more robust when handling the retrieved strings, which is also good to know.

Regards,

Mikael Rittri
Carmenta Geospatial Technologies
Sweden