[gdal-dev] Convex hull with holes

Rahkonen Jukka jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Fri Mar 3 05:13:31 PST 2023

Hi,

So you have an uncategorized bunch of points and you wish to have an algorithm that recognizes outer and inner rings automatically? I fear that is not as easy as it may appear. Have a look at the annexed image with two polygons having the same vertices. How could an algorithm know which interpretation is correct? In this simple case you could make a convex hull, delete the vertices which were consumed for the outer ring, and create a new ring from the remaining points, but generally it will not work if there are two holes, for example.

If the points come from a GPX device, make the application to record indexes for both the points and the rings “ring1-point1, ring1-point2---ring2-point1,ring2-point2” and construct the polygon ring by ring.

-Jukka Rahkonen-