[gdal-dev] Python bindings: enabling exceptions by default?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Mar 20 16:30:29 PDT 2023

> Does whether we call it 3.7 or 4.0 affect how long 3.6 is supported ?

I don't think Alan's comment would suggest that the next feature version
planned for may would be called other than 3.7.0. IMHO there should be
more substantial breaking changes to call it 4.0 than just what is
discussed here. We have never talked about a 4.0 release up to now,
either in its content or release schedule.

Until now, we have "only" maintained the last feature version during the
development cycle of the next feature version, ie during 3.7 development
phase, started after 3.6.0 release, and ending at 3.7.0, we issue point
release of 3.6.z.  I see that when 3.0 was released we have issued
bugfix releases of 3.0.z and 2.4.z (the latest one in the 2.y series) in
parallel until 3.1.0 was released. I guess a similar strategy could
apply for a 4.0 release (although the benefit/effort to have multiple
several maintenance branches isn't obvious given than most packagers
maintain just the last released version). Anyway, this derails from the
topic of this thread, and could be re-discussed when we are at that point.