[gdal-dev] Most Efficient MVT Creation

Patrick Young patrick.mckendree.young at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 13:56:54 PDT 2024

Hi,

I've been playing around a little with the MVT driver and noticed in the
test suite, features are written first via the Memory driver and then
gdal.VectorTranslate is used to create the MVTs.

Is there any advantage to doing this vs writing features directly to a MVT
datasource?  From what I could tell in experimenting, when writing directly
to a MVT dataset, the driver writes all the features to a sqlite db per
tile, and then when the dataset is closed, the actual MVTs are created;
wasn't sure if there's any optimizations taken if you go through a Memory
dataset first.

Also, is there a way to create just a single MVT with the driver? I think
the answer is no (always creates all the tiles that cover the geometries)
but I might have missed an option.

Thanks!
Patrick