[gdal-dev] Github, AI and the proposed RFC 8 amendment

Andrew C Aitchison andrew at aitchison.me.uk
Tue Oct 8 19:08:45 PDT 2024

On Tue, 8 Oct 2024, Greg Troxel via gdal-dev wrote:

> ElPaso via gdal-dev <gdal-dev at lists.osgeo.org> writes:
>> I find it ironic that as an open source developer who probably
>> contributed a lot of training material to feed the AI model I myself
>> am banned to use it.
>
> It's not ironic; it's taking the high moral ground and acting
> responsibly.  You haven't "contributed" so much as AI companies have
> taken code under licenses and used that code to create derived works in
> violation of those licenses, ignoring the share alike and attribution
> requirements.
>
> In my view the only reasonable approach for the open source community is
> to shun bad behavior entirely.

Agreed.

However, as I understand it, by using github we have allowed
copilot to include our code without it being covered by the usual
licence.

I don't like that, but we don't seem to be talking about
looking for an alternative hosting site.

Actually, if gdal includes other code under one of the open source
licences, are *we* violating that licence by putting it on github and
allowing it to be used in copilot.

--
Andrew C. Aitchison                      Kendal, UK
                    andrew at aitchison.me.uk