[gdal-dev] Split out GDAL's GRIB2 tables as a separate repository?

Jack Kelly jack at openclimatefix.org
Fri Oct 11 03:55:12 PDT 2024

Dear GDAL devs,

The directory gdal/frmts/grib/data/ contains the most comprehensive
collection of GRIB2 code tables in a machine-readable format that I'm
aware of! Thank you so much for creating this resource. It's a huge
help!

If possible, I'd love to use these CSV GRIB2 tables in two open-source
GRIB2 projects that I'm collaborating on: gribberish[1] and
hypergrib[2].

In the short term, would it be acceptable to the GDAL devs for me to
copy these CSV files into a new git repository (with some Rust code
that reads the CSV files and provides a simple Rust API to the GRIB
tables)? I'd include a README that explains that the CSV files came
from GDAL, and that I can't take any credit for the CSV files, and
that any tweaks to the CSV files should be submitted to GDAL (to avoid
the copied CSV files diverging from GDAL's).

Longer term, would it make sense to move GDAL's CSV GRIB2 tables &
related Python code into a separate OSGeo github repository that GDAL
and other GRIB2 readers could depend on? (No worries if not! I
appreciate that you're very busy. I'm just keen to avoid copying the
CSV files. But, if you're happy for me to copy the CSV files, then
maybe there's less need to split the CSV files out from GDAL).

Many thanks,
Jack

P.S. I'm afraid I may not be of much help in splitting the CSV files
from GDAL because my knowledge of C++ and cmake is very very rusty!