Some late comments; Was: Catchup IRC chat this Thursday, 1600GMT

Martin Spott Martin.Spott at mgras.net
Fri Dec 15 09:06:09 EST 2006

Jo Walsh wrote:

> Aw, i didn't notice. I dropped my scrollback log at
> http://frot.org/osgeo/irc.geodata.20061214.txt

Thanks for posting. I hope that people don't mind me adding some
comments on questions that I didn't grasp yesterday during IRC meeting.

16:15 < dputler> MartinSpott: Is the vector stuff VMAP0?
16:15 < Schuyler> MartinSpott: can you tell us about your VMap0 set up?
16:15  * zool tickles MartinSpott
16:15 < MartinSpott> Not only, VMap0, VMap1, GSHHS, SWBD, .....
      GeoNames, some TIGER (thanks to Chris Holmes)

I forgot about one: I'm replicating the contents of the DB from:

  http://fgfsdb.stockill.org/

This consists of 3D-geometries of building or other landmarks in AC3D
format, corresponding placement and heading together with a thumbnail
for each model. I'd wish to let the mapserver display the thumbnail if
you click on the dot in the map, but this is currently not implemented.
You'll find the locations as a layer called 'landmark' on the
Mapserver. One day we might couple this with 'ossimPlanet' and create a
Google-style 3D display of the earth ....

16:16 < zool> that sounds great
16:16 < dputler> What is the status of the political boundary data that
      was under ESRI license?
16:16 < MartinSpott> VMap are not really complete, we (I) picked what
      makes sense for building Scenery for a FlightSimulator
16:16 < bitner> what holes do we need to fill in?

Actually there's no point about replicating the whole VMap0 dataset,
but the question is: Does anyone need the full set ? At least putting
all the 'visible' stuff, i.e. geometries into the DB doesn't pose
any difficulties.
I'm not sure if anyone wants to transfer all the metatdata stuff from
VMap0 that does _not_ directly relate to the geometries.

16:18 < zool> isn't TIGER like 30Gb when you put it in PostGIS?
16:18 < Schuyler> zool: the ESRI people I've talked to claim ownership
      but haven't provide documentation
16:18 < cholmes> (rest of tiger is coming, when I get to it or someone
      bugs me strongly.  The dumps are on my disk, I just need to
      package them up and send them across the wire).

Before adding the whole TIGER database I'd like to have a closer look
at the attributes we (I) want to see in the DB.
There's yet another point: VMap0/1 display a large road with dual lanes
for each direction still as a single line. TIGER offers one line for
each lane an I'd like to alter the VMap0 data accordingly. I guess one
large PostGIS SQL-scripting job might do it.
This means that one day we would be able to drop TIGER in as a
replacement for the VMap0 roads (in the areas where TIGER is available)
and make the whole thing a foundation for a global "map", maybe with
additions from OSM (as already discussed).

Cheers,
	Martin.