[OSGeodata] FOIA and VMAP1 anyone?

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Sun Jul 9 21:16:59 EDT 2006

Tyler Mitchell wrote:
> On 7-Jul-06, at 12:03 PM, Chris Holmes wrote:
>
>> Hey all, was wondering if anyone here might be excited about doing
>> Freedom of Information requests and legal action on full VMAP1 datasets?
>
> Excited?  Not me...I don't know what the US culture thinks about FOIA
> requests but they are often seen as highly controversial and
> antagonistic in my Canadian experience.  Is there no way that we could
> work with these agencies and build bridges instead of litigation?
With the current administration in the US?  I frankly don't have my
hopes up.  My opinion is that some very smart lawmakers awhile ago made
some very nice legislation to protect citizens and to help the
functioning of a democratic society.  If that's being subverted, the
courts are the branch of government to keep it in check.  I'd probably
feel differently if I trusted my executive and legislative branches more.

> This early on, I suggest that it would be a mistake to take on such a
> political/legal approach via OSGeo.  I think some members could easily
> see this as a bit crazy.  I think we should be aiming to find ways to
> get closer to the action and decision-makers to find some common ways of
> helping by leveraging this data.  I like Jo's idea of developing some
> trust and trying to help make the data available.  If we can do that,
> then it will be something we can be clearly proud of and show our
> usefulness.
Makes sense.  I think the best approach would be to use the carrot _and_
the stick.  Ask nicely with one group, more forcefully with another.  It
makes sense that OSGeo is the group to ask nicely though.  I can set up
an independent project that is more about the stick, those interested
can join.  But we should definitely start on actually developing that
trust and getting some data available.  And of course start the
infrastructure to handle it.  TOPP can help out on that, we've got two
servers which can both be used for free geodata.  One's already loaded
up with all of tiger and gnis.

best regards,

Chris

--