[Geodata] Fw: Launch of the Comprehensive Knowledge Archive Network (CKAN)

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Thu Jul 12 16:33:23 EDT 2007

CKAN can be seen as a generic metadata registry for open data, starting at
the simplest thing possible. I hope in the future to work on a geodata
module for CKAN and connect up common background work on data distribution.
all the sources on http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Geodata_Repository
and http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Canadian_Geodata ought to be there ;D

----- Forwarded message from Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> -----

~~ The Comprehensive Knowledge Archive Network (CKAN) Launched ~~

<http://blog.okfn.org/2007/07/04/the-comprehensive-knowledge-archive-network-ckan-launched-today/>

After a year of (off and on) development we are delighted today to
announce the official launch of the Comprehensive Knowledge Archive
Network (CKAN for short): http://www.ckan.net/.

CKAN is a registry of open knowledge packages and projects ? be that a
set of Shakespeare?s works, a global population density database, the
voting records of MPs, or 30 years of US patents.

CKAN is the place to search for open knowledge resources as well as
register your own. Those familiar with freshmeat (a registry of open
source software), CPAN (Perl) or PyPI (python package index) can think
of CKAN as providing an analogous service for open knowledge.

#### What kinds of things do you expect people to register in CKAN?

Anything and everything -- when we say knowledge we mean any kind of
content, data or information. That said there are two main
recommendations regarding what you register:

  * First, we are looking for people to register 'packages' that is
collections with some kind of structure rather than individual items. So
a substantial set of photos, a datasets of all kinds, the writings of
Shakespeare but not an individual blog, or your flickr photo collection.
  * Second, we're looking for stuff that's
[open](http://www.opendefinition.org/): that is it's

#### Why Not Just Use the Creative Commons Search Facility in
Google/Yahoo/etc

Two main reasons:

  1. We focus on work that is [open](http://www.opendefinition.org/).
Simply put the set of open work and the set of CC-licensed works are not
identical because (a) not all Creative Commons licensed work is open
(for example those which use the non-commercial provision are not) and
(b) there are plenty of open works which do not use CC licenses (e.g.
Wikipedia)

  2. The registry is designed to support holding much more metadata
than simply whether the work is open on not. In particular we want to be
able to support automated installation of knowledge packages in the
future (which requires things like dependency and version information).

#### Is CKAN itself open?

Of course, both the code that CKAN runs on and the data itself is open,
see the license page: <http://www.ckan.net/license/>.

#### How Can I Get Involved

Start enter things into CKAN and editing existing entries -- you don't
need to be the developer of a particular project or resource to enter it
into the registry.

If you want to get more deeply involved join the okfn-discuss list and
and introduce yourself or just drop an email to info [at] okfn [dot]
org. If you want to just start hacking with the code see our development
project page (then follow the links to subversion):

  <http://www.knowledgeforge.net/project/ckan/>

#### Who is Behind This?

CKAN is currently developed and maintained by the Open Knowledge
Foundation (http://www.okfn.org) but involvement is welcomed from all
quarters. Furthermore all data and code is open so that anybody can use
and reuse the material.

#### CKAN and Componentization

CKAN is a key part of the Open Knowledge Foundation's long-term roadmap
(http://www.okfn.org/roadmap/) and completes our work on the first layer
of open knowledge tools:

  * The Open Knowledge Definition: http://www.opendefinition.org/ which
sets out what we mean by open knowledge.
  * KForge/KnowledgeForge: http://www.knowledgeforge.net/ which provide
a system for managing open knowledge projects and the services
(repositories/wikis/mailing lists) they need.
  * The Comprehensive Knowledge Archive Network (CKAN):  which provides
a registry so that open knowledge creators and users can find other open
knowledge projects and resources.

CKAN links in especially closely with recent discussions of
componentization. We envision a future in which open knowledge is
provided in a much more componentized form (packages) so as to
facilitate greater reuse and recombination similar to what occurs with
software today (see the recent XTech presentation for more details). For
this to occur we need to make it much easier for people to share, find,
download, and ?plug into? the open knowledge packages that are produced.
An essential first step in achieving this is to have a metadata registry
where people can register their work and where relevant metadata (both
structured and unstructured) can be gradually added over time.

----- End forwarded message -----