[Geodata] meeting narrative

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Thu Jun 14 14:03:00 EDT 2007

dear all,

FOSS4G2007 Geodata
------------------

David Bitner has this idea worked out - to collect, host and
redistribute packages of local Canadian geodata for FOSS4G.
Datasets and services can be publicised to conference presenters and
demo'ers. He kindly volunteered to talk with the conference committee
about this - especially about connecting up to the many local-level
data providing agencies who will have a presence at the conference.

Data holders should be able to submit their own metadata and service
information. A repository can be hosted at telascience, it would be
great to have at least one more local node. Can this also fit with
refractions' existing data hosting efforts?

http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Canadian_Geodata - a few quick notes
in here - will link to data collecting interfaces as available

Data Dump-Bucket
----------------

A nice suggested event at FOSS4G is to have a "data dump-bucket".
where people with very large data sets they want to share or have
distributedly archived can bring big hard drives full of data and
big empty hard drives. This would be a nice theme to have for a BoF
session too. Imagine the fun at Customs this could cause.

Landsat Imagery
---------------

John Graham filled us in on some of the ongoing effort to produce a
new improved global Landsat mosaic for free and open reuse.
He reckons it possible to do in a day given the distributed processing
resources available to connect to! This would be amazing to see
and i look forward to hearing updates about it.

We didn't talk about the status of data being collected on
hypersphere/hypercube systems at telascience, not the right subset of
people and i think not much has changed recently. I want to work
on a bit of map-driven search UI stuff now i have a bit of spare
code energy again. It's nice to have a more definite use case in mind
thinking about a Victoria/Canada specific repository/distribution...

I made a start at updating the Geodata Commitee web pages as well:
http://www.osgeo.org/geodata - if anyone wants to contribute please
either send me patches or talk to the kind people at webcom about
edit access...

Sorry for being a bit late to the call / not sending reminder,
i was all in a rush and having usual network failures ...

We'll try to meet again in a month to talk specifically about data
distribution for FOSS4G2007.

cheers,

jo