[Geodata] meeting narrative

Stefan F. Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 17:44:17 EDT 2007

Hi Jeroen and Jo

2007/6/17, Jeroen Ticheler <Jeroen.Ticheler at fao.org>:
> Dear Jo,
> Good to hear from you!

Good about some news form the metadata sphere! You know that I'm still
waiting for a useful geospatial metadata harvesting protocol. My current
default answer for jump starters still is OAI which offers Dublin Core as
model and OAI/XML as the encoding (see also e.g.
http://en.scientificcommons.org/register-repository). Whereas OSGeo's
DClite4G gives a more GIS oriented and more useful model but still lacks an
encoding (Jo: Please correct me).
If MEF reaches out, I would be more than happy. Now, after some glimpse on
the reference (here: http://urlx.org/sourceforge.net/bd43f) I got some
questions about which model and encoding are offered "off the shelf": From
the section of the reference which describes the info.xml, more specific,
the schema element:

"Indicates the metadata's schema. The value can be assigned as will but if
the schema is one of those describe below, that value must be used:
* dublin-core : A metadata in the dublin core format as described in
http://dublincore.org
* fgdc-std : A metadata in the Federal Geographic Data Committee.
* iso19115 : A metadata in the ISO 19115 format
* iso19139 : A metadata in the ISO 19115/2003 format for which the ISO19139
is the XML encoding."

My questions:

1. Dublin Core (DC): DC has no single or default encoding (c.f.
http://dublincore.org/schemas/xmls/). Which is the encoding you propose and
what's the semantics of dc:coverage?

2. iso19115: Which encoding (if not iso19139)?

3. I would be very interested in some XML sample files of the most used
format within GN (iso19139?) with all attributes filled in, which either are
mandatory, or have been proven 'useful' in GN (I'm thinking of thumbnails
and all those attributes which are prominently displayed in the GUI). This
would be very helpful - at least for me - to write an tool to export to MEF.

4. What is the release plan of the ArcCatalog Plugin which writes the MEF
zip file? And what schema/encoding will be used there? FGDC?

-- Stefan