[Geodata] meeting narrative

Jeroen Ticheler Jeroen.Ticheler at fao.org
Tue Jun 19 12:23:59 EDT 2007

Hi Stefan,

On Jun 17, 2007, at 11:44 PM, Stefan F. Keller wrote:
> Good about some news form the metadata sphere! You know that I'm
> still waiting for a useful geospatial metadata harvesting protocol.
> My current default answer for jump starters still is OAI which
> offers Dublin Core as model and OAI/XML as the encoding (see also
> e.g. http://en.scientificcommons.org/register-repository). Whereas
> OSGeo's DClite4G gives a more GIS oriented and more useful model
> but still lacks an encoding (Jo: Please correct me).
>
> If MEF reaches out, I would be more than happy. Now, after some
> glimpse on the reference (here: http://urlx.org/sourceforge.net/
> bd43f) I got some questions about which model and encoding are
> offered "off the shelf": From the section of the reference which
> describes the info.xml, more specific, the schema element:
>
> "Indicates the metadata's schema. The value can be assigned as will
> but if the schema is one of those describe below, that value must
> be used:
> * dublin-core : A metadata in the dublin core format as described
> in http://dublincore.org
> * fgdc-std : A metadata in the Federal Geographic Data Committee.
> * iso19115 : A metadata in the ISO 19115 format
> * iso19139 : A metadata in the ISO 19115/2003 format for which the
> ISO19139 is the XML encoding."
> My questions:
>
> 1. Dublin Core (DC): DC has no single or default encoding (c.f.
> http://dublincore.org/schemas/xmls/). Which is the encoding you
> propose and what's the semantics of dc:coverage?
            xmlns="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/"
            targetNamespace="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/"
            elementFormDefault="qualified"
            attributeFormDefault="unqualified">
> 2. iso19115: Which encoding (if not iso19139)?
This is GN's first implementation. Its actually 19115:DIS that had a
DTD to validate. So short element names and the DTD that you can find
in the GN schema folder.

The iso19139 uses the latest schemas that are the same as defined by
the ISO 19139:2007 standard.
> 3. I would be very interested in some XML sample files of the most
> used format within GN (iso19139?) with all attributes filled in,
> which either are mandatory, or have been proven 'useful' in GN (I'm
> thinking of thumbnails and all those attributes which are
> prominently displayed in the GUI). This would be very helpful - at
> least for me - to write an tool to export to MEF.
We are developing a good mef set that will be provided as samples
with GeoNetwork release 2.1. You can see the current ones in the SVN
system (browsable through http://sourceforge.net/projects/
geonetwork ) We'll focus on the ISO19139 samples, since the ISO
metadata standard is the one we put most emphasis on.
> 4. What is the release plan of the ArcCatalog Plugin which writes
> the MEF zip file? And what schema/encoding will be used there? FGDC?
The metadata you can create using the FGDC editor or the ISO wizard
(again preferred). I currently have a beta that we are testing now. I
hope we can make a first release very soon. The code will be on
SourceForge too, so it can be further improved.

Ciao,
Jeroen