[Geodata] OSgeo Catalogue

Lorenzo Becchi lorenzo at ominiverdi.com
Fri Oct 5 15:06:16 EDT 2007

Jo, thanks for your reply,

> This is because the OSGeo catalogue, as such, doesn't really exist ;)
> There are multiple approaches which have been partially taken,
> e.g. the from-scratch structure-driven interface with GeoDjango, or
> the approach of adding structure and semantics incrementally from an
> existing source (e.g. the semantic mediawiki version).
>
> There have also been some experiments with GeoNetwork but it is not
> ideal when all one wants to do is drop in a URL or, say, an RSS feed
> with a list of different URLs of WMS's. The question came up at least
> once, what is the best way to annotate WMS and WFS resources in Dublin
> Core based metadata documents/models.

if somebody wants to just drop a url you can just use WMS Catalog from
MicroImages
http://www.microimages.com/wmscatalog/
it's a cool app, human readable, until there will be not many records in.
they have even a search system but it relies on url name and, I guess,
getCapabilities output (can match extent).
In my experience, metadata rarely are well set in capabilities.

> I hope to get a "spike" out soon of a simple web-based catalogue
> service - something just a bit more complicated than
> http://www.ckan.net/ - i know i have been making noises like this
> awhile! :/
>
> It seems a crazy simple problem not to have solved yet, for me this
> has been because the solution is too generic and i keep drifting off
> into different use cases for the same backend metadata model.
> (tracking a tilecache, indexing a filesystem, etc... )

cool
> If you are interested in helping out - it would be good to at least
> try this semantic mediawiki plugin and see what can be got out of it -
> come hang out on the #telascience channel on freenode.

my idea to help was about creating an OpenLayers extension for CSW to
make simple searches related to actual map extent or not.
we talked about it with Jeroen and it would be feasible with last
GeoNetwork, that integrates CSW interface.
I'm expecting to receive a set of WMS layers and the subset of metadata,
as the subset you've selected, and to let the user simply choose.
even better having a JSON interface

Having a common GeoNetwork install, even on Telascience, I can try to
put into some layers and develop the interface.
Am I losing my time?
is there anybody interested in such an application?
why not to use OGC standards when it's feasible?

thanks again

ciao
Lorenzo