[Geodata] Re: [Aust-NZ] NZ geodata on OSGEO?

Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au
Sun Apr 27 19:42:51 EDT 2008

IMO:

Hi Brent,

This is a great idea, particularly for FOSS4G-2009.

Has Brendan been approached over the licensing?

Assuming that the OK is given, how could we keep the data current? I'm
assuming that it is under active maintenance.

How far off is the NZ Government from hosting this data themselves via OGC
Web Services?  This may be a better option in the longer term.

Bruce Bannerman

Brent Wood <pcreso at pcreso.com>
Sent by: aust-nz-bounces at lists.osgeo.org
28/04/2008 05:37 AM

shoaib <saburq at gmail.com>, Aust-NZ at lists.osgeo.org,
geodata at lists.osgeo.org
cc

Subject
Re: [Geodata] Re: [Aust-NZ] NZ geodata on OSGEO?

--- shoaib <saburq at gmail.com> wrote:

> Brent, thanks for taking the initiative on this
>
> If we come up a minimum set of layers with an open licence for NZ then
> we can feed that info back to OSM as well. I think they would be
> interested in extending their data model to support additional layers.
>
> For example there is talk of moving to a topological model so that
> routing using OSM data becomes possible
> (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Routing).

Hi Shoaib (et al),

At present, I understand that Gavin Treadgold, who is very active in NZ in
the
GPS arena, and is also involved with Sahana development, is working with
OSM
regarding the bulk loading of the NZ road centreline data.

Regarding my suggestion, the range of layers available, and the presence
of
some raster data susggest to me that a more traditional GIS approach for
managing & overlaying these datasets is more appropriate than trying to
fit
things into OSM. Although, I guess if OSM data is WMS/WFS available, then
some
vector data could me managed there & still accessed from another
application,
but I don't see that happening in the short term.

> There is also an example of contours being added to OSM.
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/gravitystorm/2273971905/in/photostream/
>
> What would be best way to start? Perhaps a page on the Aus-NZ chapter
> wiki listing layers and links to data?

One issue; despite much of the data being available under a pretty open
licence, it is not generally available online, either for download or via
a web
mapping application. Which is one reason that an initiative like this is
viable.

Anyway, such links are not really available, despite the data being freely
redistributable. This is the main reason I suggested OSGO may be
interested in
hosting this data as an example of a national free dataset made available
via
FOSS software. The small geographic size of New Zealand make such datasets
more
manageble than many other countries, which was also a consideration.

Regarding licencing, as mentioned on the geodata list:

see
http://www.linz.govt.nz/docs/topography/topographicdata/topodtabase/licence-agreement-1.pdf

This is for the raw data as supplied by the appropriate government body.
Once
purchased (or otherwise obtained), as described in clauses 4-7 in the
above
document, the data can be freely copied, modified & on-supplied, with a
couple
of provisos (basically noting that crown copyright is applicable to the
original data & a disclaimerfor errors & omissions waiving any
liabilities).

This licence covers the road, property & topographic data.

So, we can either buy a copy ourselves (a few hundred $$) or find a
friendly
agency or business who is prepared to pass on a copy of the data thay have
obtained. At present, a few members of the Aust-NZ OSGEO chapter who have
access to copies of these data are following this up, to see what can be
made
available at no cost.

Other data is available elsewhere, such as census & electoral data from
Statistics New Zealand. See http://www.stats.govt.nz/copyright.htm,
where it states that generally data supplied from them can be freely
redistributed but should acknowledge them as the source (but note that
privacy
concerns apply to some census data).

There are other layers which can probably be made available, maritime
boundaries, parks & reserves, etc, but such layers are somewhat peripheral
&
can be followed up once the main datasets are sorted out. Indeed, having
such a
system available online for the core data may help stimulate various
bodies
into making other data available.

I had intended to progress this concept further on the Aust-NZ list before
introducing it to a wider group (including geodata), to work through
licencing
and data supply issues, but it spread faster than I'd planned :-)

Cheers,

   Brent Wood

Notice:

contained in this email.