[Geodata] Re: [Aust-NZ] NZ geodata on OSGEO?

Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au
Mon Apr 28 18:42:51 EDT 2008

IMO:

Brent,

If we are to host this data via OSGeo, I would prefer to do so with LINZ's
blessing, rather than through an interpretation of a license agreement.

There have been some encouraging actions towards OSGeo and OS spatial
software from the NZ Government.

Would you like to approach Brendan acting in your position as a Director
(elect) of OSGeo-AustNZ?

If not, I'm happy to do so.

Bruce Bannerman

geodata-bounces at lists.osgeo.org wrote on 28/04/2008 06:21:47 PM:

> To summarise the situation regarding this:
>
> I have an offer to supply NZTopo, cadastral including road_cl but
without
> survey marks & some StatsNZ boundaries.
>
> Some other datasets such as EEZ, Territorial Sea, etc are probably
available.
> The LINZ geotiff orthos' are available.
>
> I have an OSGEO related offer to host the vector data, provided the
licences
> meet with OSGEO approval. I'm not sure at this stage if this will
include a
> PostGIS/mapserver/OpenLayers based website to demo teh data & the
> applications,
> but figure we can work through these questions once (if) we have an
OSGEO
> acceptance of the licences.
>
> There are a few questions still before we can really progress this:
>

> Are the LINZ & Stats NZ data licences acceptable to OSGEO? (who
decides?)

> LINZ licence is at:
> http://www.linz.govt.
> nz/docs/topography/topographicdata/topodtabase/licence-agreement-1.pdf
> (but note we will be getting the data from a re-supplier, rather than
> purchasing it from LINZ directly, so any additional conditions may
> also need to
> be considered)
>
> Stats NZ licence is at: http://www.stats.govt.nz/copyright.htm
>

> Hosting/web app issues as mentioned above.
>
> What sort of data maintenance regime is appropriate: apply all updates
as they
> become available, or is this overkill for OSGEO purposes? Monthly,
annually???

> Can anyone host the ortho imagery as a WMS layer to be incorporated in
the
> final application?
>

> Is a wiki page for discussion of this going to be more useful than a
list
> discussion?
>

> Cheers,
>
>   Brent