[Geodata] Re: [Aust-NZ] NZ geodata on OSGEO?

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Tue Apr 29 05:12:54 EDT 2008

--- Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au wrote:

> Brent,
>
> If we are to host this data via OSGeo, I would prefer to do so with LINZ's
> blessing, rather than through an interpretation of a license agreement.
>
> There have been some encouraging actions towards OSGeo and OS spatial
> software from the NZ Government.
>
> Would you like to approach Brendan acting in your position as a Director
> (elect) of OSGeo-AustNZ?

Hi Bruce,

I received the email below way back (Mon Jan 05, 2004), when I first looked at
purchasing the raw NZTopo data from LINZ (LSLIFF format) & on-supplying it for
free on a LiveCD:

> Hi Brent
>
> The cost of NZTopo in LSLIFF is $1500 incl GST.  It can be obtained
> from the Map Centre.  There are no additional conditions placed on a
> purchaser with regard to reselling.  It is yours to do with as you
> wish.
>
> Regards
>
> David Balm
> Senior Advisor NTHA
> Land Information New Zealand
> Phone: (04) 460 0197 or extn 6197
> Fax: (04) 471 6894
> E-mail:  dbalm at linz.govt.nz

The impression I have is that LINZ (and other NZ Govt Departments whom I've
asked the question of) do not want to grant specific permissions for any
particular organisation or data providor for any particular purpose, as this in
sffect constitutes a governmental approval or tacit endorsement, which they are
loathe to do. Instead, a generic wording such as the one above are used, or
they reference the licence & the generic freedom expressed there.

Essentially, I was happy with the phrase: "It is yours to do with as you wish."

While this applies to the data as supplied by LINZ, there are also any
constraints imposed by those who are giving us a copy of their version of these
data. I believe we need to more closely look at the licence covering these,
rather than the LINZ original. If there is currently no such licence for these
data, then we should perhaps come up with one which meets OSGEO & LINZ
requirements.

I can re-visit this with LINZ if necessary, but I figure the above reply may
constitute an appropriate permission to do what we want with it?

If not, please let me know & I'll ask again :-)

Cheers,

  Brent