[Geodata] Re: [GeoNetwork-devel] CSW 19139-19119 schemas [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 20:30:20 EST 2008

Hi John,

I'm sorry to confirm your observation that there are more different
implementations of ISO19115 Metadata Schema than you probably expected - and
it's even worse: ISO19139 Metadata XML Implementation already is *not*
compatible with the initially "higher level" ISO19118 Encoding and CSW
2.0.2is about 127 pages (plus references to many mandatory ISO
documents)!

I read too about your investigations to map ISO 19115/19139 to Dublin Core,
since Dublin Core is part of a community (i.e. librarians, scientists) which
is larger than GIS. Even here, my "acoustic sensors" tell me that there
exists currently neither a usable XML encoding nor a commonly accepted
minimal geospatial metadata schema which includes data and services!

 Let me add that my goals are about metadata exchange between metadata
catalogues (repositories) at different levels as well as between catalogues
and between desktop or web-based applications - and which are implementable:
i.e. simple, parsimounious, RESTful, mass-IT-adopted, etc.. I'm aware of the
fact that the requirements to a metadata schema and encoding seem to be
higher than even for geodata itself.

Perhaps my expectations are too high. Still, currently I'm agonized
regarding geo-metadata exchange... Please prove me wrong!

Stefan