[Geodata] More TIGER stuff

Ralston, Bruce A bralston at utk.edu
Mon Jun 23 20:26:12 EDT 2008

I have posted a new program and source for creating KMLs from TIGER (pre-shape versions--I'll have a shape version soon)at http://tnatlas.geog.utk.edu/downloadfree.htm.  It is free and open source. One improvement in this program over previous TIGER translators I have written is how it cuts water polygons.  In the past, I cut all perennial water polygons, which resulted in areas looking like over-ripe Swiss cheese.  In this version, I cut only "major" water polygons, which are water areas that coincide with ZCTAs that end in "HH".

If you would like to see what you can do with these files, please visit http://ctasgis02.psur.utk.edu/tokml.  This site allows users to create kmz files on-the-fly for 35 different variables, at the county, tract, or ZCTA level.  Users can select multiple counties or entire states.  It supports various classification methods, including Jenk's natural breaks and standard deviation maps. We (a student at UT (Josh Streufer) and myself) would be interested on what people think of this mapping site. Feedback is welcome.

Bruce Ralston
University of Tennessee