[Geodata] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] defining a Geospatial Integration Showcase to be launched at FOSS4G 2009

Mikel Maron, OSM mikel at osmfoundation.org
Thu Oct 23 16:33:46 EDT 2008

Hi

> I've been waiting for the Open Database License to move forward, since
> at the moment, I see no licenses that make sense to license new geodata
> under. OSGeo/Geodata committe has not expressed an opinion at this time.

The OSM Foundation is moving on the ODL. We're currently getting a second opinion on the latest draft.
The plan is to have the license finalized by the end of the year. Certainly want to get it out there asap,
so that it's an option for the Austrailian government and others.

http://foundation.openstreetmap.org/the-openstreetmap-license/

More background on the license change, and open questions on the license.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Open_Data_License
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Brief_for_proposed_OSM_licence

It would be great to get informal feedback from the geodata committee on the license.
(Been meaning to bring this up here since FOSS4G, but so much on my todo...)

Will this license serve your needs? Are there other use cases to consider?

-Mikel