[Geodata] Request to host the "greek" CORINE land cover map at OSGeo

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Mon Jan 26 15:37:01 EST 2009

On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 19:36 +0000, Martin Spott wrote:
> Hi Nikos,
>
> Nikos Alexandris wrote:
>
> > I kindly request your attention concerning a dataset I would like to
> > upload on a server relevant with public geodata.
>
> Admittedly I'd like to leave the legal stuff to someone who has better
> expertise on this topic ....  If it's just about _storing_ the data in
> whichever form, I think we have multiple opportunities to offer.
>
> Nevertheless I'd be very careful about this clause:
>
> > Rights:
> >         EEA grants free access to all its data/applications provided
> >         that the user agrees:
> [...]
> >         ?? not to use the data/applications for commercial purposes
> >         unless the Agency has expressly granted the right to do so
>
> So, _if_ OSGeo would provide public hosting for such a dataset, I guess
> they would be liable to ensure that users are going to obey the given
> rules ....  and I don't have the slightest clue how this would have to
> be accomplished.
>
> Cheers,
> 	Martin.

Hello Martin!

Thank you for your response. My understanding is that it's not mine or
any other's responsibility if anyone will misuse such a dataset.

The "Rights" are very clear. Do you think putting this small text (or as
a README.txt file?) with the link to EEA's webpage along with the
dataset is not enough?

Thank you for your attention, Nikos