[Geodata] Request to host the "greek" CORINE land cover map at

Martin Spott Martin.Spott at mgras.net
Mon Jan 26 17:07:31 EST 2009

Nikos Alexandris wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 19:36 +0000, Martin Spott wrote:
> > Nikos Alexandris wrote:

> > Nevertheless I'd be very careful about this clause:
> >
> > > Rights:
> > >         EEA grants free access to all its data/applications provided
> > >         that the user agrees:
> > [...]
> > >         ?? not to use the data/applications for commercial purposes
> > >         unless the Agency has expressly granted the right to do so
> >
> > So, _if_ OSGeo would provide public hosting for such a dataset, I guess
> > they would be liable to ensure that users are going to obey the given
> > rules ....  and I don't have the slightest clue how this would have to
> > be accomplished.

> Thank you for your response. My understanding is that it's not mine or
> any other's responsibility if anyone will misuse such a dataset.
>
> The "Rights" are very clear. Do you think putting this small text (or as
> a README.txt file?) with the link to EEA's webpage along with the
> dataset is not enough?

Phew, I'm unqualified to give proper advice here. Every time _I_ was
attempting to get my hands onto CORINE data I hit a web site with
restricted access. Therefore I _assume_ that this dataset is not for
public, anonymous consumption ....  nevertheless I'd be happy to hear
educated advice on this topic.

I just would like to point out that we should stay clear of any data
distribution with 'uncertain' restrictions. On the other hand, if
there's some official statement by the copyright holder which
explicitly permits distribution via anonymous dowload, I'm certain
we'll find a way to do so.

Cheers,
	Martin.