[Geodata] Request to host the "greek" CORINE land cover map at

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Mon Jan 26 17:37:32 EST 2009

On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 22:07 +0000, Martin Spott wrote:
> Nikos Alexandris wrote:
> > On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 19:36 +0000, Martin Spott wrote:
> > > Nikos Alexandris wrote:
>
> > > Nevertheless I'd be very careful about this clause:

> > > [...]
> > >
> > > So, _if_ OSGeo would provide public hosting for such a dataset, I guess
> > > they would be liable to ensure that users are going to obey the given
> > > rules ....  and I don't have the slightest clue how this would have to
> > > be accomplished.
>
> > Thank you for your response. My understanding is that it's not mine or
> > any other's responsibility if anyone will misuse such a dataset.
> >
> > The "Rights" are very clear. Do you think putting this small text (or as
> > a README.txt file?) with the link to EEA's webpage along with the
> > dataset is not enough?
>
> Phew, I'm unqualified to give proper advice here. Every time _I_ was
> attempting to get my hands onto CORINE data I hit a web site with
> restricted access. Therefore I _assume_ that this dataset is not for
> public, anonymous consumption ....  nevertheless I'd be happy to hear
> educated advice on this topic.
>
> I just would like to point out that we should stay clear of any data
> distribution with 'uncertain' restrictions. On the other hand, if
> there's some official statement by the copyright holder which
> explicitly permits distribution via anonymous dowload, I'm certain
> we'll find a way to do so.
>
> Cheers,
> 	Martin.

You are right Martin. I will direct a question to EEA directly I think.
I have to be 100% sure since in my tutorial I demonstrate the use of
wget :D. So, if there is really a problem with that, I'd better remove
it from the tutorial before it gets published.

Thank you for your critical view upon this. Maybe someone else in the
committee is informed about this?

Cheers, Nikos