[Geodata] about OSGeo geodata catalog

David William Bitner david.bitner at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 10:13:30 EDT 2009

Jorge,

There have been several false starts at getting a catalog going for the
OSGeo GeoData Committee.  The biggest hindrance has been that there has been
nobody in the group who truly had a need for this catalog that could really
push them to get it going and to populate it and maintain it.

I think that just about everyone agrees that it would be interesting and "a
good thing" to have an OSGeo catalog -- the only council I would like to
give is to make sure that there are enough volunteers who really have a
committment to get things to happen.  The last push for setting up
GeoNetwork was being led by Lorenzo Becchi (who I believe is part of
OSGeo-ex) and Jeroen.  They both, I believe, have access to the Telascience
servers and hopefully could be coerced into helping orient those willing to
put the effort in.  We can work with the OSGeo SAC and the folks at
Telascience on identifying an area on the servers and getting the correct
permissions set up.

I look forward to hearing more of your plans!  Please let us know whatever
we can do to help you out.

David (GeoData Chair)