[Geodata] Historical Boundaries Dataset

Christian Willmes c.willmes at uni-koeln.de
Thu Mar 5 03:56:21 EST 2009

Hello,

a colleague of mine, who mainly works on this found this
http://library.thinkquest.org/C006628/
page. There are datasets from 1815 until 1994 of changing borders of the
complete world.

As it looks like its based on the ESRI world datasets. Does anybody know
something further about this?

The disclaimer at least does not prohibit the use of the data:
<---
The GIS data presented in this site was hand-created by students and as
such is not guaranteed to be accurate. Many references used in creating
the data conflicted with each other, and we were forced to pick one
reference as being more accurate. In most cases, the data is only meant
to be used on a large scale, so that only the relative position of
countries should be trusted. It is estimated that political boundaries
have an average error of 40 miles. Since relative positions were used
heavily, the most accurate borders are those that run along a major
river or touch a coastline. We request that any data found to be
inaccurate be reported
<http://library.thinkquest.org/C006628/contact.html> to Team C006628.
Again, as this data is created by students, we hold no responsibility
for the use of the data outside of this site.
--->

best regards,
Christian