[Geodata] Natural Earth mirror/distribution

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sun Apr 11 15:52:42 EDT 2010

On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 6:19 PM, Brian Hamlin <maplabs at light42.com> wrote:
> Hi All-
>
>  At the just-over Where 2.0 OSGeo booth, Mr. Nathan Vaughn Kelso stopped by
> from the Washington Post. He and others are behind the cartographically
> lovely Natural Earth data set. The Natural Earth team I think they are
> pretty happy with the results, and have received critical acclaim...
>
>  http://www.naturalearthdata.com/
>
>  So Mr. Kelso inquired if and how we, OSGeo would like to host or promote
> the set... Apparently a minimal set of all vector, plus two basic raster, is
> around 670 mb.  (the whole set of rasters brings it up to 4-6 GB ?)
>
>  seems like a great fit to me... Ideas ?

Looking at the
http://www.naturalearthdata.com/about/terms-of-use/
I think that it fits well.

I guess that we have to wait for the new OSGeo server infrastructure to be
operative. Then we should seriously consider dataset promotion and for
selected datasets also hosting.

Markus
--
http://gis.fem-environment.eu/